CrowMedia

UPDATE: PDP Adopts Jonathan As Sole Presidential Candidate

Goodluck-jonathan-1.jpg

Olushola Omogbehin

The screening committee of the Peoples Democratic Party, has cleared former President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan by waiver ahead of the party’s presidential primary.

Former Governor Babangida Aliyu of Niger State who is a member of the Tanimu Turaki-led PDP NWC Presidential and Gubernatorial Screening Committee, disclosed this in Abuja on Tuesday after the screening exercise.

The screening committee is chaired by former Vice President Namadi Sambo and includes members such as Chief Olabode George, Chief Tom Ikimi and former military governor of Plateau State, Jonah Jang.

However, Jonathan was absent during the meeting of the committee held at the Transcorp Hilton in Abuja for the screening exercise.

Addressing journalists after the sitting, Aliyu said Jonathan had emerged as the sole candidate of the party following the waiver granted to him.

He said, “The party had already given our presidential aspirant the waiver.

“As I said earlier, he was deputy governor; became governor; became vice president; and became president.

“So, we did not see anything that needed screening, and, therefore, the party gave him a waiver. In other words, he has been declared and cleared as the candidate of the PDP for the presidential election, and that is President Jonathan.”

In all, there has been no official reaction from Jonathan regarding the development.

Earlier, faction of the PDP backed by the Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde had announced that Jonathan would be screened as the party’s presidential aspirant as of Tuesday.

Share this post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

scroll to top